WHAT IS CIEN?
The Chemical Information Exchange Network (CIEN) is a project that has been launched jointly by UNEP and USEPA. It creates a framework for access to, and exchange of vital chemical information to support national decision-making. By providing the knowledge base, it promotes successful implementation of Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs.)
CIEN AND MEAs requirements:
Under the Stockholm, Rotterdam and Basel Conventions parties are required to exchange information with the Convention secretariat (Stockholm Convention Articles 9 and 15, Basel Convention Article 13 and Rotterdam Articles 14 and 15), the Conference Of parties and other stakeholders. CIEN can help a country that is a signatory or party to these conventions to;
• Exchange information with the convention secretariat, the conference of parties and other stakeholders.
• Facilitate public awareness and research activities.
• Provide coordination of national activities and ensure a more effective use of resources.
Botswana signed a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) with UNEP Chemicals in September 2005.
The benefits of the MOU are:
• Training of personnel to reduce the information gap and facilitate the promotion of sustainable development, including the sound management of chemicals.
• Launching of Botswana Chemical Management Website, an internet based tool for increasing awareness on specialized authoritative information. The website provides technical and legal information on chemicals on their sound management; download international negotiations, access to specialized database and information sources from specialized institutions.
• To enable chemical information exchange between stakeholders on safety, handling and disposal
• To set up a national chemical information database
• To provide a basis for national activities geared to decision making
CIEN WORKSHOP IN BOTSWANA
A CIEN workshop jointly conducted by UNEP Chemicals and USEPA was held in Gaborone, Botswana from 27 October 2005 to 4 November 2005.
The theme of the workshop was “Strengthening the Chemicals Information Exchange Network using the Environmentally Sound Technology Information System.”
Botswana CIEN Workshop Participants
Four thematic groups were formed during the workshop namely:- Public Awareness, Research On Alternatives, Risk Management and Legal And Regulatory Aspects that would provide relevant information to the webmasters through the Information Evaluation committee, who evaluate and editing, before posting information into the Website.
Workshop participants were drawn from various Government departments, Non Governmental Organizations, Parastatals and Industry.
A road map for the establishment of a CIEN in Botswana was set up and tasks were allocated to different thematic groups.
CIEN BOTSWANA HOME PAGE