Refrigerant Management Plan Update
At its 41st and 42nd Meetings, the Executive Committee approved funds for UNEP and UNDP to prepare an updated Refrigerant Management Plan for Belize. The Refrigerant Management Plan Update (RMPU) was approved by the Executive Committee at its 44th meeting in 2005. In order to meet the challenges ahead and enable the country to comply with its future obligations under the Montreal Protocol until year 2007, an Action Plan was developed under the RMPU and consists of the following Projects:
1. "Certification and Licensing of Refrigeration Technicians", with the purpose of enforcing the use of good servicing, maintenance and containment practices in the refrigeration sector by designing and implementing a “Certification and Licensing System” for refrigeration technicians.
2. "Technical Assistance to the Refrigeration Servicing Sector", in order to provide incentives for the use of good servicing, maintenance and containment practices in the refrigeration sector through the granting of sets of tools and spare parts needed for the use of such practices, as well as additional recovery machines specially tailored for the local conditions.
3. "Prevention of Illegal CFC Trade", with the aim of reinforcing the work of the Customs & Excise Department and enforce the application of the ODS Import Export Licensing System through the organization of meetings with high-ranking Customs officials, the organization of two annual planning meetings with key Customs officers and Customs related personnel, and the creation of an “Ozone Protection Information and Enforcement Unit”.
4. "RMP Monitoring Programme", oriented to ensure the success of all the projects and systems that are being implemented for the refrigeration servicing sector, by providing regular and continuous monitoring of all the activities so as to facilitate the rapid identification of obstacles and problems, and the timely design and implementation of the appropriate corrective measures.
Current Status of RMPU
1. Certification and Licensing of Refrigeration Technicians
116 additional technicians trained and certified in good refrigeration practices. A Bill entitled “Refrigeration Technicians (Licensing) Bill, 2007” was drafted and is currently undergoing review by the Solicitor General’s Office for presentation to parliament for passage into law. This process is expected to be completed in early 2008.
2. Technical Assistance to the Refrigeration Servicing Sector
Fourteen recovery machines, Eight 30 lbs recovery tanks and Thirty four set of tools and spares were distributed to service technicians.
3. Prevention of Illegal CFC Trade
Thirty Seven customs officers, three traffic officers and five police officers have been trained in the enforcement of the Import/Export Licensing System.
4. RMP Monitoring Programme
As part of the RMP Monitoring Programme, the NOU conducts regular visits to servicing workshops to monitor the use of the Equipment to verify whether the technicians whom have been assisted with equipment are complying with the terms and condition of the MOU sign between them and the NOU.
Belize's Refrigerant Management Plan Update
Activities of RMPU
Refrigeration Technician Training Workshop in San Ignacio, Cayo
Refrigeration Technician Training Workshop in Belize City
Customs Officers Workshop - Northern Border
Customs Officers Workshop - Belize City